09 July, 2009

What I want to do, I don't do...

I have to say I know what Paul was saying in Romans when he said, "I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do... I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing...So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members...
And then, later:
What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?
Seriously. My life seems insane. I wish I should always do all the things I want to do, but the things I want to do aren't always the things God wants me to do... but that is the law of sin working in me.
So I do the things I don't want to do according to the law of God, but I don't do those things that I should do according to that same law. I sometimes want to do the things I shouldn't do, and then I do those things, and then I regret them.

If you followed that, congratulations. It was hard for even me. But I find myself saying thanks to the God who made me... like Paul said:
Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!
I just need his help all the time, but I know that he's with me, and his grace is sufficient always. Praise God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SO true. I love you!