I don't know if you've ever read the last book in C.S. Lewis' Chronicles of Narnia, and actually, I haven't. However, I've listened to the radio theater version, which is almost as good. Since then, I've been thinking about the ending to the story. I won't elaborate, in case you haven't read it, but at the end Aslan is leading the children and the creatures of Narnia deep into his world. They come to cliffs and caves and obstacles of all kinds, and Aslan is at every moment calling them "inward and onward and upward" into Narnia. They follow, laughing and running. It's somewhat difficult, but they are encouraged by the lion's call.
My mind just keeps running through the parallel between those moments at the end of the story, and our Christian lives. The Father leads us deeper and deeper into his kingdom, calling us in and on and up. It's tough, going up over mountains and through dark places, but we can have joy there, because we get to be close to him, and we get to hear his voice as he calls us to come with him to the high places. As we get deeper in and higher up, we find we can hear his voice more clearly, and see the faces of others around us who are going in the same direction as ourselves. I think this is his plan.
It takes work, though. I couldn't say it's easy; I know it isn't. I've often felt the pain of the knowledge that I've stopped on the path and his voice is getting more and more faint. He doesn't just leave me on the path and continue on, though. He always comes back for me.
Thank you, God. Continue to call me inward, onward, and upward: I'll continue to follow.
1 comment:
Thanks for this, Linds. It's encouraging.
Post a Comment