The analogy is obvious, but still perspective-bending. Green is also one of the most intense books you'll find in the "Religion" section at your local Barnes and Nobel™.Green is actually the prequel and the sequel of a four-part series; that is, it can be read before or after reading Black, Red, and White. I hadn't read the other 3 books, yet this book was intricate and scintillating enough to draw me in. I enjoyed the fast-moving plot and the parallel drawn between the physical and spiritual realm.There were, however, a few things that would have stalled a less-motivated reader, or one with a weaker stomach. There was quite a bit of violence and detailed description of what the author believes to exist in the demonic realm. There was much bloodshed as well, both through battle and self-mutilation.
Overall, I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone under the age of 18, or who is less inclined to understand the parallel drawn in the book. It is, however, a good choice for those who have enjoyed hard action books from a secular author and are looking for a Christian alternative, or for those who have previously read and enjoyed Dekker's books.
4 comments:
Hmm.. I think it's a good thing I'm not doing this review thing--I'm way too biased. But I can understand what you're saying. I don't disagree with Dekker, but I think some people could find some of the stuff too violent or graphic. At the same time, what is evil, really? You know? He portrays it as it should be portrayed, because it's really not something to mess around with, and so many people do. So I think Christians should read these kinds of books more than non-Christians even because they need to be woken up!
I think we may have to sort of "agree to disagree" on this. Personally, I have a bias as well (I'm not sure anyone doesn't). I am biased against books and movies that show violence in most any form. That is why I can't bring myself to watch movies like Braveheart and Black Hawk Down. I do watch movies like Lord of the Rings, but even they don't sit well with me. The only movie with a lot of violence that I will sit through is the Passion (for obvious reasons). Even then, most of the time my face is turned away.
But I agree that most Christians are blind and dull to the spiritual realm... I just don't know if this is the best way to change that.
However... you are certainly very welcome to have your own point of view. :)
Great choice of wording....I'm impressed :)
As far as the book itself goes, I am inclined to agree with g.b. to some extent. I, myself, would not be drawn to blood and gore but I know there are some adventurous young men who are drawn to the action and fierceness...Better to something that has a little positive spiritual application than just random violence.
Good job!
-nonny
p.s.
like your new additions to your blog...
Post a Comment