Previous to reading this book, I knew very little about King Alfred the Great. In fact, I may say without exaggeration that I had never even heard the name until I picked up the volume. However, I can now say that I know more about the king than many, and I think that the text has enriched my life in a positive way.
You may be able to tell from these comments that I was somewhat unexcited originally by the prospect of reading this narrative. However, the book is very well written, providing much factual information as well as engaging true stories of Alfred’s life and conquests. The book spans the life of the monarch from a young age up to his death at age 50. It speaks of his goodness towards his friends and his enemies, and of his pious love of God. It tells of the wonders he did for his kingdom of Wessex, both on the political end and the educational end.
The author, Benjamin Merkle, should be applauded for his obvious passion on the subject and for his way of weaving words in an attention-grabbing way. He did a wonderful job, and I would recommend this book to anyone who loves history or the English nation.

1 comment:
yay! you did it! :) nonny
Post a Comment