14 November, 2008

NaNoWriMo.

I don't know whether or not you have heard of "NaNoWriMo", although I am willing to bet at least one of you has. NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month, which takes place in November every year. Basically, the point of this event is to try to write a 50,000 word novel, in the course of one month. It doesn't have to be perfect; in fact, the website "headquarters" states that it is about "quantity, not quality". The point is just to whip out 50,000 words in some sort of novel-esque form by the 30th of November.
And of course, I have undertaken the task (along with thousands of other folks around the world.) I'm a bit behind at the moment, with only 16,000 words instead of 20,000. However, I can see myself finishing in time. With this vision, I am moving forward.
I feel kind of silly doing this, but I think I may post a bit of the novel here. Laugh if you will, just don't tell me that you did so. =)
I love you all.

The King looked at the boys, his own eyes now filling with tears. “Oswald, you have done well. You have represented my character and held yourself to firm discipline. Please, bow, that I may honor you officially, and before this witness.” He gestured to Ander and then continued. “I have little to offer you that you do not already possess. There is one thing that I have, however, that you do not. It is the only thing I own that is of any value to anyone in this kingdom. It is… my name. Wear it proudly, my son.” He lightly tapped the boy with his sword on either shoulder, and then rested the weapon lightly on his head.
“Benjamin, stand up into your new identity.”
The boy stood, unbelieving and seemingly unsure of his feet. “Sire… your Highness. I…I don’t know what to say. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Majesty!” He bowed and kissed the hem of the King’s robe, while Ander looked on and smiled. “And what can I do for you, my Liege? Surely there is some way that I can repay you for such a kindness. I will give anything, do anything, to be worthy of this name.”
The king just shook his head. “You needn’t do anything, child. You have already done it, by obeying me, by staying close to my throne when your heart seeks to roam far and wide. I want to bless you, and I am glad to see that you have been blessed. Go, and represent me further, in your studies, in the hunt, and eventually, on the quest. I look forward to seeing what you do in my name.” He turned to Ander, and continued to speak. “My son, my heir, you know that I have always loved you more than anything that exists in this world. This is still true. My heart has expanded to include Benjamin, and yet, you are truly mine, completely and fully. You are a part of me, as I am the same to you. Never doubt my love for you. It grows increasingly, day by day. Always remember that. You are me when I’m not present.” The king sat back in his throne, satisfied. He looked at both boys, and breathed a sigh of contentment. “My sons, you are free to go. Prepare. Do what you must to get ready for the big day. I have much to do, and I don’t know whether I will see you before that day. I have no doubt that you will do well. You may leave; you are dismissed.”
As the boys left the room and went back to their studies, they were both quite overwhelmed with the emotion of what had just happened. Ander was silent, considering his father’s words. Benjamin was in shock, shaking and crying tears of joy and wonder. Why would any king want him as a son? Yet, the King had called him "son”, and had even given him a new name. He was undoubtedly a son of the King now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so good!! it's such an amazing reminder of the amazing love our father has for us. And no, I'm not laughing:)

golden_blaze said...

well, like i said, the whole thing's not nearly as spiritual as it looks from this part. in fact, this might be the only part that even looks a bit like it relates to God and us... lol.

thanks for your comments, hannah. they mean a lot to me.