14 January, 2009

A Fresh Perspective

Apples, oranges, lemons. I am surrounded by produce, which is in turn surrounded by sunlight. Of course, the sunlight helps the plants to grow, but it does something else, too. It fills me with delight,
with warmth that doesn't come just from the sun's natural heat. I feel as if my heart is growing in size, like the heart of the Grinch from Seuss's Christmas book.
I slowly turn, facing each of the fruit trees in turn, examining each peel and stem with amazement. What amazing planning, to fit each fruit with a colorful outfit to protect it from any harsh environment. And the vegetables, to think that they are the foundations of plants - the stems, roots, and leaves - and yet their nutritional value leaves nothing to be desired. When I think about it, later, it won't surprise me that these things are planned so well. I will remember that people, just like all other natural things on this earth, are created well, and positioned in a place that will cause them to rely on the thing that gives them life.
And so, as my plants and produce naturally turn themselves to face the sun, which gives them life, I will work to turn my face to my Father, who makes me whole and new.

2 comments:

denica said...

This is beautiful!

golden_blaze said...

Thanks. I needed a little bit of summer in these harsh winter months. Actually, I got an idea from this post as well. I wrote the post before I found the picture to go with it, but I thought, what if I found a cool picture and then wrote a story around it? I'm going to try that one of these days... I look forward to it. =)