Ok, well, maybe not so much the first part. Yes, It would be amazing if I had some wonderful words of wisdom for you all regarding dreams and everything, but that's just not how it's going to happen right now. Actually, once you watch the video below, you might get the reference; otherwise, it's fairly obscure.
But...
I do want to talk about the word 'your'. Yes, I was quite serious about that part.
I guess it just shows my english-major-ness, but one of the things that annoys me more than most anything is the misuse of the word "your" and the word "you're". I know that these words look alike - so alike, in fact, that they are often mistaken for each other - but they mean completely different things. Here's an example of a conversation that may come about because of the abuse and misuse of these two words.
Bill: Hey, what's up? Your looking good.
Me: My looking good?
Bill: What?
Me: Never mind. So I saw that you finally got a new truck.
Bill: Yeah, it's pretty neat. Definately cooler than you're bike.
Me: I'm bike?
Bill: What?
Me: You just said that I am bike. Why?
Bill: What? Your confusing me.
Me: If it's my confusing you, than why are you taking it?
Bill: What's going on in you're head? Are you crazy?
Me: I am head?
Bill: What?
As you can see, the mix-up of these two words can lead to confusion and dizzyness. Besides, who knows what you might say if you use the wrong words.
I must clarify, though. This is much more important in writing than it is in speaking. Obviously, others cannot see the misspellings you speak, although sometimes they can hear them.
Just for your quick reference, I have made a little chart for you, so that you may remember this rule in the future. You can print it out and frame it if you like, or carry it in your wallet.
You're = "you are"
Use if you are saying "you are", as in
"You're the coolest, ever."
Your = belonging to someone
Use if something belongs to someone, as in
"Your dog is so ugly, it deserves to be a cat."
Hope this helps.
Now, watch the video. It's funny, and has nothing to do with anything I just said.
I hope your day will be all you're wishing it will be.
1 comment:
OH MY GOSH LINDSAY! You are absolutely hilarious! I love your sense of humor. And I appreciate the your you're thing--don't worry, it bugs me too. hehe I love you!
Post a Comment