zaf·tig /ˈzɑftɪk, -tɪg/
Pronunciation Key - [zahf-tik, -tig] –adjective
Slang.
1. (of a woman) having a pleasantly plump figure.
2. full-bodied; well-proportioned.
Also, zoftig.
[Origin: 1935–40; < Yiddish zaftik lit., juicy, succulent; cf. MHG saftec, deriv. of saf(t), OHG saf (G Saft) sap1, juice]
I realize that when Webster sat down to write the "Z" section, he was probably pretty ready to be done with it. I'm sure he was frustrated with this once-wonderful idea, and maybe thought, "I'll just leave off at "Y". Lucky for us he didn't, because we would have never heard of this wonderful word, ZAFTIG. For those of you who haven't heard the word anyway, I want to break it down for you into it's component parts.
First of all, notice that it is an adjective, and specifically regarding a woman.
Secondly, it includes the words "pleasantly plump". It is not meant to be a dig, although I'm not sure I would be happy to hear it directed towards me.
Also notice that, toward the bottom of the definition, it says, "juicy, succulent... derivative of... juice." Interesting, eh?
Lastly, I must point out that this beautiful word comes from the native tongue of my ancestors: Yiddish. Yes, only the Jewish people could produce such a wonderful word.
Feel free to use this word at any time. No one will know what it means, and they will see you as a brilliant scholar.
Just don't use it around my grandmother. She's Jewish. She'll know.
3 comments:
haha that made me laugh :)
so do u have a cell now or was that your dad's?
yesh. i have a cell phone. my dad doesn't.... do you have the number
Post a Comment